Massachusetts Legal Blog

Employer Not Paying Wages in Massachusetts?

 How Do I Report an Employer For Not Paying Wages in Massachusetts?

If you believe your employer in Massachusetts is not paying your wages as required by law, you should take the following steps to report the issue and seek resolution:

  1. Keep Records: Maintain detailed records of your hours worked, pay stubs, and any communication related to your wages. This documentation will be crucial when filing a complaint or taking legal action.
  2. Communicate with Your Employer: First, try to resolve the issue directly with your employer. It’s possible that there may be a misunderstanding or administrative error that can be resolved through open communication.
  3. Consult the Massachusetts Wage and Hour Division: If your attempts to resolve the issue with your employer are unsuccessful, contact the Massachusetts Wage and Hour Division (WHD). You can reach them through their website or by phone. The WHD enforces state labor laws, including those related to wage payments.
  4. File a Wage Complaint: You can file a wage complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office. They can investigate and take action on your behalf.
    • Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office: Wage and Hour Division Complaint Form:
  5. Contact an Attorney: If your efforts to recover unpaid wages through the above methods are not successful, consider consulting with an employment attorney who specializes in wage and hour disputes. They can provide legal advice and represent your interests in court if necessary.
  6. Report to Federal Authorities: If your employer is engaged in interstate commerce or is subject to federal labor laws, you can also file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division.

Remember that it’s essential to act promptly when you believe your wages are being withheld unlawfully, as there may be statutes of limitations that limit your ability to recover unpaid wages for past periods.

For the most up-to-date guidance on reporting wage violations in Massachusetts, it’s always a good idea to consult with an experienced employment lawyer in Massachusetts. Contact The Shapiro Free Initial Consultation! 339-298-2300.